Social Media Optimization: Emergence Media’s 5 Themes of SMO
Daniel Riveong provides 2 underlying assumptions of Social Media Optimization and 5 themes that should guide one's attempts to market through social media.
The 2 Underlying Assumptions of Search Media Optimization (SMO):
1. The New Ruleset: social media is about engaging people and conversation
2. The Equation: “engagement + authenticity x audience reach”.
The 5 Themes of Search Media Optimization (SMO):
1. Understand, Cater, and Help Your Audience
Understand what your audience is like and how they influence each other. Try to cater to them without being fake, which "may even mean linking to your competitor in your resource guide."
2. The Internet is Alive, Make Your Web Site Alive Too
Update your website often
3. Treat the Audience Like People!
Treat them as you would your real-world friends and acquaintances. Be "real", and engage in honest, friendly conversation.
4. Social Media is Not a Tool, It’s Today’s Internet Culture (and the Future’s?)
While myspace, digg, facebook and other "web 2.0" tools might be a passing trends, the internet has become and will continue to be more social and user-generated. If you are trying to acheive something online you need to engage with this culture
5. The Internet is More than a Webpage on a Computer, What about You?
have a variety of content in a variety of media, and make that content easy to pass around.